Since the launch of the original model in 1990, some 11.5 million Clios have been sold in more than 115 countries. Today, a new chapter in Clio’s history is about to be written with the unveiling of the fourth-generation version.
New Renault Clio stands out through the following features:
- Sensual, passionate styling, the fruit of the Renault design renaissance, plus an extensive range of exterior and interior personalisation options.
- Affordable innovative technologies :
- Reversing camera, keyless entry, Renault R-Sound app, Renault Bass Reflex system,
- Six-speed EDC dual clutch automatic transmission,
- Renault R-Link, an integrated internet-connected touchscreen tablet.
- Genuinely fun to drive thanks to a comprehensive range of engines, all engineered to deliver market-leading fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions:
- A new three-cylinder petrol engine: the Energy TCe 90 (4.3 litres/100km and 99g/km of CO2 ), Energy dCi 90 (3.2 litres/100km and 83g/km of CO2).
New Renault Clio, an incarnation of the brand’s new styling identity
New Renault Clio is the first production model to give full expression to the Renault design renaissance inspired by Laurens van den Acker, Senior Vice-President, Corporate Design. The promise was to take the style and emotion of the brand’s latest concept cars and bring them to production models. Renault’s new small family car fulfils that promise.
“New Renault Clio was conceived as a piece of sensuous sculpture which stimulates desire. Like muscles, its curves express the dynamism radiated by the DeZir concept car. No acute or aggressive angles, just voluptuous curves that make you want to go up to it and caress it.” Laurens van den Acker (Senior Vice-President, Corporate Design)
Balanced, dynamic exterior proportions
New Renault Clio stands out through its front-end design which features a prominent Renault logo, set bold and upright to a gloss black background, an arrangement first seen on the DeZir concept car. This frontal treatment is further emphasised by the headlights – the lower edge of which is picked out in chrome – and LED daytime running lights. Offered only in five-door form, New Clio has a sporty silhouette, accentuated by integrated rear door handles concealed close to the rear quarter lights. In comparison with its predecessor, it packs extra dynamism and personality thanks to a lower ride height, wider tracks, wheels pushed out wide within the arches, and a reduction in the gap between the wheels and wheel arches. From launch, New Clio will be offered in a choice of eight body colours, including the launch colour (Flamme Red) which is derived from the red used for DeZir.
A fresh, welcoming, occupant-friendly cabin
Safe, protective and refreshing, the interior of New Renault Clio perfectly complements the exterior style to inspire confidence and energy. Comfort goes hand-in-hand with a modern feel and user-friendliness thanks to the dashboard sculpted in the shape of an aircraft wing, the optimally-positioned multimedia system on the centre console, a wide range of colour options, a digital speedometer, comfortable seats and chrome and piano-black trim highlights.
Broadest-ever personalisation programme, with a long list of affordable options
Exterior and interior personalisation was dialled into New Renault Clio’s design process at the very beginning. From launch, buyers will be able to personalise the exterior of their vehicle with a selection of door mirror housings, grille bars, rear panel skirts, lower door protectors and wheel finishes, as well as a choice of roof graphics. To personalise the interior, the menu covers the dashboard, door panels, steering wheel, grab handles, gear lever surround, air vent surrounds, upholstery materials and optional floor mats. Thanks to attractively-priced option packs, buyers are able to choose the look and feel they prefer.
New Renault Clio: packed with innovations
When it comes to innovation, New Renault Clio keeps up the Clio tradition of redefining expectations within its segment and raising the standards for small cars.
Renault R-Link – an integrated tablet connected to the car and internet
Having been first with notable innovations such as steering wheel-mounted radio controls (1982, R11 Electronic) and in-car navigation (1994, Safrane), after bringing keyless entry to the volume market (in 2001) and GPS navigation with a high-resolution screen (Carminat TomTom® priced at €490 for Clio in 2009), and having launched on-board connected navigation in the shape of Carminat TomTom® LIVE for Clio, Renault continues its stream of innovations with Renault R-Link.
Available as an option for New Clio, Renault R-Link provides a bridge between the car and the connected world outside thanks to:
- A wide seven-inch (18cm) touchscreen, intuitive voice commands and, as a market first, a home page that can be personalised by the user for safe and simple access to essential functions, without the driver having to take his or her eyes off the road.
- TomTom® connected navigation includes Live services and boasts the market’s best real-time traffic information, helping to minimise journey times and fuel consumption.
- Among other benefits, a connection with the car’s own electronic systems permits access to an advanced eco-driving function (Driving eco²) which analyses the driver’s behaviour and provides advice to help reduce fuel consumption.
- Thanks to the Renault R-Link Store, the automobile world’s first ever Application Store, users can easily view or download a comprehensive and varied range of apps from their car or computer (via ‘My Renault’).
One Renault R-Link app – Renault R-Sound Effect – enables the audio experience inside New Clio to be personalised by immersing the cabin in a specific sound environment. Renault R-Sound Effect can simulate six different engine sound profiles, each with a specific, attractive signature and perfectly synchronised with driving parameters such as speed and acceleration.
New Renault Clio will also be available with the MEDIA NAV system which is standard equipment for two from three equipment levels.
The intuitive, centre console-mounted MEDIA NAV system features a seven-inch (18cm) touchscreen, a radio and a Bluetooth® function for the audio streaming of music and hands-free use of a mobile phone. Portable music players can be connected via the fascia-mounted USB port or jack socket. MEDIA NAV is available with ‘Nav N Go’ navigation with 2D and 3D (Birdview) displays.
‘NAVTEQ’ maps can be updated via the USB port from a bespoke internet interface.
A world first: Bluetooth® radios with the Renault Bass Reflex system
All versions of New Renault Clio are available with a clever sound system integrated into the front doors’ loudspeakers. Known as Renault Bass Reflex, this system delivers the volume and listening enjoyment of a 30-litre home speaker enclosure. Bass frequencies are more powerful and the threshold of saturation and distortion is pushed much higher.
The entire New Clio range features Bluetooth®-equipped radios for hands-free telephone operation and audio streaming from portable music players with excellent sound quality. All radios incorporate USB and jack sockets.
New Renault Clio: a pleasure to drive, and targeting number one status for fuel economy and low CO2 emissions
New Renault Clio combines low fuel consumption with driving pleasure thanks to a significantly updated range of petrol and diesel engines. The two petrol engines (Energy TCe 90 and TCe 120) combine very low fuel consumption and CO2 emissions with responsive performance and mid-range acceleration. The significantly improved new-generation Energy dCi engines bestow New Clio with record-breaking fuel economy for the same driving pleasure.
Two new Energy engines: advanced technology for everyday motoring
New Energy TCe 90 petrol engine
New Clio is the first Renault model to feature the new three-cylinder petrol turbocharged Energy TCe 90 engine. This is the first three-cylinder powerplant ever produced by Renault and, from launch, will provide a remarkable balance between driving pleasure and fuel economy:
- This three-cylinder, turbocharged 900cc unit comes with Stop&Start and delivers the performance of a normally-aspirated 1.4-litre powerplant,
- Peak power of 90hp at 5,000rpm,
- An ultralow-inertia turbo for satisfying response from low engine speeds: 135Nm at 2,500rpm (90 percent of peak torque available from 1,650rpm),
- An economy-optimised version with taller gear ratios and fuel consumption of 4.3 litres/100km, equivalent to CO2 emissions of 99g/km ,
- A 21 percent fuel consumption and CO2 emissions savingc compared to the TCe 100 it replaces.
New diesel Energy dCi 90
The latest addition to the Energy family is a new 90hp version of the 1.5 dCi, equipped with Stop&Start:
- A four-cylinder 1.5-litre engine with 220Nm of torque available from 1,750rpm, an increase of 20Nm over the current dCi 90,
- Peak power of 90hp at 4,000rpm,
- An economy-optimised version with taller gear ratios which also qualifies for the Renault eco2 signature with fuel consumption of just 3.2 litres/100km, equivalent to CO2 emissions 83g/kmc.
New TCe 120, paired with six-speed EDC automatic transmission
New Clio will be available with the new, dynamic TCe 120 engine mated to six-speed EDC transmission (Efficient Dual Clutch), a first for Renault in the B segment:
- A four-cylinder 1.2-litre engine with the performance of a normally-aspirated 1.6 engine,
- Direct fuel injection and turbocharging for peak power of 120hp and 190Nm of torque from 1,750rpm.
Along with the availability of EDC dual clutch transmission for the dCi 90 engine in the first half of 2013, New Clio will mark a further step in expanding access to the driving pleasure and seamless gearshifts delivered by this responsive and frugal automatic transmission.
Systems designed to promote economical driving
Over and above these engineering features, New Clio offers drivers an integrated suite of efficient solutions to help them reduce their fuel consumption and CO2 emissions:
- An ECO mode allows drivers to reduce fuel consumption by as much as 10 percent by modifying the car’s performance parameters at the push of a button.
- A driving style monitor (green, yellow or orange) and a Gear Shift Indicator (GSI) on the dashboardd help drivers improve their driving style to reduce their fuel consumption.
- The Driving eco² app available through Renault R-Link provides drivers with a full suite of information, enabling them to analyse their driving style and take corrective measures in order to reduce their fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.
Manufactured in Flins (France) and Bursa (Turkey), New Renault Clio is built to Renault’s exacting quality standards. It is an affordable model that sets high standards in quality, with nothing to fear from larger or more expensive models. New Clio is built on a new version of the Alliance’s B platform which has been optimised for outstanding comfort, manoeuvrability and low noise levels.
Safety runs in the family: in 2005, Clio III became the first B-segment model to achieve a five star EuroNCAP crash test rating. Thanks to the comprehensive list of safety features it offers, New Clio, too, seeks to deliver the highest level of safety.